Sunday, August 27, 2006

Home again.

We arrived home awhile ago from our weekend in the cities. What a blast!!! There were 12 of us altogether (leaders from our youth group) and we had such a good time together. We stayed in the Grand Lodge across from the Mall of America and IKEA, which has a waterpark attached to it. This was not just a rinky dink waterpark- this place was HUGE! They had a series of waterslides, all different styles- story single rider, double on a tube, 3 or 4 on a big tube, and a 10 story single rider. They also had the surf and boogie board machine, a wave pool, several hot tubs, a huge kids area, and a river that floats you around the whole place. It usually costs $32 per person per day, but when you stay in this hotel, you get a free pass.

I have to admit, when I first heard we were all going to a waterpark, I was a bit hesitant- like somehow I shouldn't be enjoying waterslides because I'm 28 years old. Why is it that just because we are adults now, we give up on our adventurous, inner child? It felt so good- screaming the entire way down several crazy slides that seemed to go forever. I especially loved the part when I'd get ejected from my tube at the end- I'm sure because Matthew is a bit heavier than I am. The surf machine really got my heart going, too. Not just because it was hard trying balance on a board on top of incredibly powerful waterflow, but because they only allowed one person at a time and tons of people were standing around watching. Oh, and because we saw several people lose their swimsuits during their turn! The lifeguard at the top of the machine was always waiting with a towl to throw on someone who didn't tighten their swim trunks enough. One kid completely flashed everybody, and didn't really seem to care! I managed to keep my swimsuit on and stay up for awhile... by no means a pro, though.

In any case, as myself, Matthew, and another leader were waiting in line (she's about 35)... we talked about how important it is to do things you wouldn't normally do (things that scare you or make you feel foolish) because it keeps us young, both physically and mentally. As soon as you give up on your inner child, you start feeling old. She has two kids and can really connect with them on their level because she's willing to do things most moms won't, like skiing and racing bmx bikes. I think that is so great. I want to be that kind of mom someday... and I want to take my kids back to this waterpark- what a place!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home