Tuesday, August 15, 2006

I imagined today going so differently.

Today was the day to end all days.

My car decided it didn't want to go with me to work today. It wouldn't start. I'm pretty sure that stemmed from last night's automatic lock breakdown. Matthew decided to check the fuses last night and I think the Focus felt a little violated. Nonetheless, it was next to impossible to manually lock and unlock the beast.... and now it won't start.

Matthew had to come back home to bring me out to work this morning, and on the way I told him that today HAD to be a good day... our long awaited catalogs were arriving at work! I worked several months to complete our 120 page catalog, and after many frustrations with out printer, it's done!

The nagging feeling I couldn't shake all day, was well justified even before the long awaited catalogs arrived at the office. One of the more than 9,000 customers that received our catalog today called to report a misprint in our catalog. It seems that our 800# was printed incorrectly. The panicky feeling set in when we realized that the wrong number was printed on every other page of the 120 page book! I hurriedly called the number to find out who our customers will be calling, thinking they're calling us. It is a recording for another telephone number, and when you call that number... it's a phone sex line! No lie. I thought my head was going to implode. It's not just an introductory, 'You've reached such-and-such company' but a raunchy, 'come-and-get-it' recording.

Thankfully, our 800# is printed right in a few places, but 3 to us versus 55 to phone sex... not such good odds. So I had to whip up a correction postcard today that will get to customers the end of next week. I feel like it is all my fault because I was the graphic designer on the project. Yeah, it wasn't caught by the several people proofing the catalog... but I'm the one who copy pasted it throughout the catalog.

I feel blanketed in my own stupidity... and can't help but chuckle a little at the irony.

6 Comments:

Blogger Nicholas Davis said...

CRISTINA!!!!!!!!!! ... haha... I'll see about getting the not-sex-line contact information on your site soon...

8:19 AM  
Blogger Cristina said...

Thankfully the number is correct everywhere except on every other page of the catalog! The website is fine.
Nick, let's just keep this between you, me, anybody who ever looks at my blog, and the thousands of people that will be trying to call our office. Oh man...

10:37 AM  
Blogger Rachel Gora said...

my sister had her baby!!!

5:48 PM  
Blogger sankey said...

Wow! Gees sounds like you had a Verry Verry interesting day...atleast you wernt walking threw walmart tonight when my moms paint can fell out of the kart and went all over there floor...I just wanted to walk away! but i felt bad so i stayed with the kart lol...

9:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We received our catalog from you. It is beautiful and artistic and colorful and inviting and clever and fun to look at and easy to find info you want and scrapbooky and each page is unique but flows together with all the others! (I love the frog on Page 66!) My daughter did that!

I would guess that 99% of the people on your list have eyes that see that tiny phone number as a blurry line at the bottom corner of half the pages. They were too small for you and everyone else who proofed the catalog to see that the 3 should have been an 8. The correct phone numbers listed are 50 times larger than the blurry line microscopic ones, so the correct ones (I counted 6 without much effort) outweigh the incorrect ones by a LOT!

Besides that...isn't it as a footnote? You type it in once and it puts it in the same spot on every other page?

I'm embarrassed to admit that I had a similar feeling-stupid situation. I used the same template to make real estate flyers for our listed properties. It took a year before someone told me that our phone number was wrong on one of the flyers! I looked back and every single flyer I made was wrong! I called to apologize to the people who own that number.

It is a big deal to us, but apparently it has little to no affect on others. (Now that they are correct, we find that we don't get many calls off these flyers.) I'm sorry it happened to you, though. It's not fun at the time.

1:56 PM  
Blogger Cristina said...

Awww... thanks, Mom.

12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home