Sunday, June 04, 2006

How did we get here?

Today is Graduation Day for Willmar Highschool seniors. About 30 students are graduating from our youth group- it will be so sad to see them go off to college next fall! At the same time, it's exciting thinking about the possibilities ahead of them.

I remember graduation really vividly- even though this year marks 10 years that I've been out of highschool. TEN YEARS! How bizarre. Anyways, I remember how frightened I was to take that next step. I had so much uncertainty that I couldn't even decide what to do until a week before I had to register for classes. After I started college, highschool began to fade into the background and felt more like a springboard than 'this is it- this is what life is about'. And I distinctly remember feeling the same about college after graduation day came and went for that period of my life as well.

College was definitely more enjoyable, though! If I could choose any period of my life to repeat, it would most definitely be that one. There were difficult times to deal with in there (Grandma dying quickly from cancer, ending a long-term relationship with someone I really cared about, and a few other things) but it was a great time to tap into the creativity God placed in me and to develop new relationships. I was really shy through my early school years so it felt freeing to get outside of that and rediscover who God created me to be (that I have something special to offer the world). I'd never want to give those years up for anything.

Some of you that read my blog were 'main characters' in my Dordt years...
Kristin- I enjoyed our late night talks... and running across campus with our swimsuits over our clothes. We were always full of good ideas, weren't we?!
Heather- Remember the night we did our cheap trash makeovers and had a snowfight with the boys- the night before Christmas break? That is such a small portion of our many adventures.
Donna- I still rock out to Partridge Family and Ben Harper in your honor (and because I like them) Do you talk in your sleep to Jon now? That was creepy.
Megan- You always had a sarcastic remark on hand for me- man, what'd I ever do to you!? Just kidding. Let's do lunch soon!
Dave&Kelly- You two were always up to no good :) I'm so glad you are together- and happy.
Brian- You were such a gentleman- always greeted me with a big Koning smile and a few minutes to chat. I always looked forward to seeing you across campus.
Sam- You were always lurking behind bushes and buildings to ambush me- remember hide and seek in the classroom building on the Saturdays we were supposed to be working on ceramics? I'm glad you dared me to go to China- and took the dare yourself.
Rachel- Even though you were only there 1 semester, it was the hardest and I'm glad we could be there for each other. Happy 10 year anniversary, friend!
Melanie- You weren't at Dordt, but we sure made plans when our two college worlds collided! Some of them didn't come true, but the best one will... SOON!

3 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

I too look at that night fondly. However, when you do my make-up for my wedding could we go with a slightly more subdued look?:)
Love you!

9:57 PM  
Blogger donna said...

I tried to post a comment yesterday- I guess something went horribly wrong.

Yes, I think I still talk in my sleep, and John has told me that he's woken up a few times with me sitting up, looming over him and staring at him. Very creepy. But I was probably on the lookout for spiders or other large insects crawling all over the room.

And every time I listen to "gold to me" it brings me back to east campus :-)

12:21 PM  
Blogger meganleah said...

Cristina,

I hope you always know that I also am always "just kidding" and love you lots. I try my best to control most comments that come through my head but sometimes they just slip out.

I'll do lunch under one condition; no sandwich splitting. It just wigs me out.

3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home