Thursday, March 23, 2006

what just happened!?!

These last two days have been really surreal. I'm really earning my 'sleep in till noon' Saturday this week!

Yesterday myself and Kelli (one of my sweetest friends in the whole world) and I sat with Stephanie, a girl from our youth group, in the hospital while she had a baby. I got to know Stephanie at youth convention last fall. She was in my room with three other girls. Not quite sure how I missed the whole pregnancy thing. Either my observancy radar was down or she didn't even know she was pregnant at that point.

In any case, the poor thing was induced at 12:30am Wednesday morning, then in labor from 5:30am until 10:30pm. That's a LONG time to be in hard labor for a girl her size. They eventually had to do an emergency c-section because she wasn't progressing. Thankfully both she and her little boy are healthy and doing really well. I'm so glad that Kelli and I were able to be there for Stephanie. It can be hard reaching out to students when they are at a tough point in their lives... most often all they need is someone to be there, though. My ministry yesterday was rubbing Stephanie's back and massaging her feet with lotion. Oh, and I gave her my hand to squeeze during contractions. So that was yesterday- we left last night at 11pm.

This morning I woke up to the amazing news about the CPT captives being freed. Hooray!

Then I got a phone call at work from Matthew. Three highschool seniors (best friends) from Central Minnesota Christian School were injured in a car accident on their way to school this morning. They collided with a guy on his way in to Willmar. All of the details are still a bit unknown- what caused the accident. The driver of the other car was okay- brought to the hospital and released. In the car with the students- Shean Gerdes was brought to the hospital and released. Adam Mickelson was killed in the accident. Jon Bonnema, the third person injured in that car, goes to our youth group. He was airlifted to St Cloud where he remains in critical condition. When he arrived there, they said he was brain-dead. He has actually improved since then, by a miracle of God, and is showing some activity in his brain as well as breathing a bit on his own and moving around a bit.

Tonight we held a prayer service at our church for the three boys and their families. Many students as well as relatives and family friends came to spend time lifting them up in prayer. We even got a call from Mike Bonnema, Jon's dad, from the hospital in St Cloud. He called to give us an update, and to encourage US! God is taking amazing care of that family! I'll keep you guys updated on any news.

And now.... I'm exhausted. I apologize for the lengthy entries lately. Kudos to you that have actually read them straight through! You win a... hamster. Hey! Hamsters are cool- don't look so disappointed!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home