Monday, November 14, 2005

the eye

Fun story time!

The other night I was typing an email to a gal that was a student of mine in China (when I taught there in 2000). I decided to see if she was on MSN- and there she was! The neat thing about it- she and I lost contact for the last 4 years. I had no idea where she was, and she found me on the internet, completely out of the blue. Exciting in itself... but now we are chatting like old chums! I love it. The greatest thing- she had a webcam. It was like she was right there in the room with me- I could hear her and see her clear as day! How great is that!?

Matthew and I were inspired.

Today I came home from work, and there it was. It keeps staring at me. Have you ever seen Short Circuit? It's like Matthew stole one of those eyes and put it on top of our monitor.

Now all I need is someone to chat with!

7 Comments:

Blogger Cristina said...

I got to use the webcam! I just talked to a girl that was on my China team, Rachel. She has been living in Thailand for the last 3 years, working in an orphanage. I had no idea! Once again, there she was, with one of the little girls from the orphanage- like she was sitting in the room with me!
Seriously, you guys gotta get one of these!
Matthew bought ours for $30 at Office Max. It comes complete with the headset microphone.

11:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have a webcam!!!!
Jesigurl79@yahoo.com

Let's chat! ;)

3:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's so funny! the same thing happened to me the other day- minus the webcam ;)

i had been emailing a student from china off and on, but we had lost touch for a year or so. she im'd me out of the blue and also sent me pictures. she's about to graduate from a university in shanghai. she's so old!!! or maybe it's me that's getting old...

4:05 PM  
Blogger Cristina said...

Donna, we are indeed old. Annie, my student, is 20 now! She's grown up sooo much since 2000.

I'd like to know who brought Sex and the City to China. She's obsessed! She talked about them like they are her personal friends.

9:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's funny....i wonder if it's censored at all

2:27 PM  
Blogger Cristina said...

Donna, I need you to send me your mailing address (over email). I have something for you!

11:58 PM  
Blogger nokomis said...

That's so sad that all Americans have to live with the image that television gives us internationally.
But webcams, man, that is intense. I bet in 5 years everyone will have them and we can say to our children, I remember when we had no webcams at all and we never really knew who we were talking to... those were the days...

1:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home