Thursday, June 30, 2005

...in a dog's previous life...

An interesting thing happened to me on my way home from work yesterday. I walked past this black truck, I'd never seen before, parked outside our building. I thought to myself, "Hmm... that's odd."
I walked inside, got our mail, and was nearly plowed over by two young boys running down the stairs. Living in a building of nearly all elderly women, I thought that was odd, too.
Inside my apartment, I started listening to messages when I heard a loud knocking at the door. Looking out the peephole, I saw the two young boys and a woman I could only guess was their mother. I tried to quiet down Bertie (our rat terrier), who thinks it is her job to be our personal alarm if she hears a noise of any sort.
I opened the door to find...
... the family we bought Bertie from!? I have no clue how they tracked us down, but there they were!
The boys had a great time playing with her after she finished with her 'bark for 5 minutes at anyone who walks in the door' routine. They were so impressed with all of the tricks she's learned, that one of the boys asked if they could trade me for one of their other dogs.
He was pretty disappointed when I said, 'No'.
We had a... interesting view of this family, when we bought Bertie from them 2 years ago. Monica, the mom, is a sweetheart with a few problems of her own. Her eyes go in opposite directions and she has hearing aids for a pretty bad hearing problem. I was amazed at how much she loves her dogs! Her boys were hyper and out of control when we first visited their house. It was summer- and hot- so they had their sprinkler running in the front yard, and one of the boys kept messing with it. After a few minutes, we turned around to find that he'd moved the sprinkler in direct line of our car. The water was shooting directly into our open car window!
I'm glad they found us yesterday. Those boys were so happy to see their puppy all grown up.
We are going to set up a time to bring her over to see her mom. Not sure how that will go, since Bertie has no clue she's even a dog. No amount of socializing with other dogs has helped. Right now she's learning to walk on her hind legs... and since she's technically 14 in dog years... she'll soon be out looking for a summer job.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's such a great story. If I ever own a dog this story might even inspire me. We'll see.

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your relationship with Bertie sounds just like me and Trixie. My precious Trixie (a prize poodle) has been such a great comfort to me for the past 8 years, I don't know what I would ever do without her. She always brings me comfort when I get lonely with her big blue eyes starring at me. She's never one to hog too much of the blanket when we watch "Desperate Housewives". And she always lets me have the last bit ice cream when we share an ice cream sundae at Baskin Robbins. She is always excited to get another knit sweeter from me. She insists on wearing on our walks. I really think you should knit Bertie some sweaters, she will just love them. Maybe your Matthew would like some sweaters, too.

1:24 PM  
Blogger Cristina said...

I'll get right on that.

10:44 PM  
Blogger Melanie said...

that is crazy that they found you! kinda freaky if you ask me... but, that is good that you were nice about it! Happy 4th of July! oh- and there is nothing wrong with knitting dogs sweaters. Charlie may sport one some day :) maybe when she gets sick of it Matthew can have it.

12:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home