Saturday, May 07, 2005

...there was a salesgirl on the brink of insanity.

I worked a long day today at the furniture store. This is the only job I've had, where I can learn my schedule by watching tv. My schedule doesn't vary much, so I don't check it often while I'm at work.
So I'm sitting there, relaxing on a Friday night and here comes the millionth commercial for my store... "Ultimate One Day Sale!"... or the dreaded "12 Hour Sale!", when I think I'm only working 8 hours.
Argh.
Perhaps I shouldn't have watched tv last night. I really could have skipped today altogether and been much better off. It started with the Saturday 'pep talk'. It's funny how bosses think they are helping their employees do a better job when they use threats.. and yelling. It's funny to me that my boss actually thinks I'm going to sell more furniture just because he says I have to. Then tells me that I no longer get my 1 weekend off per month if I don't sell a certain amount (somehow not quite as funny). Customers can tell if a salesperson is under that sort of stress- they get that green eyed monster look in their eye when they ask you, "Can I help you find something?" More like, "BUY SOMETHING! ANYTHING!"
Typically my job is not so bad- I meet a lot of people, get a good discount on furniture, it's decent pay, and I usually get Thursdays and Fridays off.
Today, though, I think my customers could tell I was a salesgirl under stress after that meeting. It did not go well. The low point of the day was a particular couple that I helped in the mattress area. They immediately sized me up, all 5'4", 105 lbs of me with my baby face. I may as well have been sucking my thumb because to them I was 2. They had an argument for everything I told them, even though they knew very little about mattresses. It didn't matter to them how much I wanted to help them. They were flat out rude.
But in the end, they ended up letting me into their circle (about 3"). They asked for help- and they got a great bed.
Then my wonderful husband came with lunch and it was heaven. We just got this new sub shop in town, Erbert and Gerbert's. Boney Billy is the bomb diggity! Who would've thought that sprouts would be that tasty?

It felt good to let off that bit of steam. I apologize for the long version- but not for letting it out. Transparency feels good.

Tonight is relaxation night in the Cherry household. Perhaps Phantom of the Opera will be at the movie store. (I still haven't seen it, Melanie!)

Until next time, keep on keepin on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home