Wednesday, January 24, 2007

I almost forgot!

We visited another church this past Sunday. We weren't sure where to go, so we basically closed our eyes and pointed to one in the yellow pages. Alonna and Dan came down for the weekend (which was fantastic, by the way), so the 4 of us met up with my parents at said church. I think it was called Faith Assembly of God.

We pulled up to the church and knew just from looking at the building that we were in for an interesting morning. It was about the size of our house. So we walk in, and were immediately the center of attention. The funniest part of the morning was when the pastor came up to us before service and said, "I just want to make sure you are in the right place- seeing as how this is the first Sunday that Redeemer's Church is meeting in their new building next door." Side note: Redeemer's is the church we went to last time. The way he said it was... well awkward. We ended up being 6 of about 25 people there.

The service was pretty good, even though the acoustic guitarist had his guitar plugged into a bass amp that wasn't grounded and we could hear a radio station playing in the background the entire worship time :) The pastor's wife played drums, which I thought was pretty rad.

I don't think we will be going back. Not because of the size necessarily, but for several reasons. The service felt rehearsed - I don't like being told how to worship. The entire church was fasting together- not that that in itself is strange, but there was a write up on the back of the bulletin saying how if you break your fast that you would be letting down yourself and God. I don't agree with forcing people into fasting- I believe it needs to be a personal decision. There also was no youth group in existence (although I did see 2 students there).

After service was over, everyone gathered in the kitchen area for homemade bread and coffee. The kids were out of their class, which included balloon animal making, and they were definitely not shy. They took no prisoners as they whacked away at everyone in sight (including us)!

The search continues.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I pray you're able to find a new church home!

10:01 AM  
Blogger Nicholas Davis said...

!! Question !!

Coffee... I can see that, but bread during a fast??? What kind of fast is this?!!!?!?!?!?!?!? Non food????

11:27 AM  
Blogger Cristina said...

Hey that's true... I never thought about that!

11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home