Tuesday, October 18, 2005

on a positive note...

My last couple of posts have had a negative spin to them. I apologize to anyone who may have been saddened by them. In this post, I have assembled my Top 10 List of jobs I have worked at, and something positive about each.

10. Corn Pollinating (age 15)- We got to work in knee high mud after a really amazing storm ripped through our town. Most of the corn was flattened, but we pollinated it anyhow!

9. Pet Locker (16)- I couldn't bear the thought of leaving the animals in cages, so I took most of them home and kept them (at one time I had:2 cats, 2 hamsters, an iguana, a tree frog, newts, african cichlid fish, and a few other stragglers).

8. Taco Bell(18)- Hello! I got to eat nachos everyday... why do you think I got a job there in the first place!?!

7. Good News Bookstore-I worked there with my friend Kathryn for 2 years. We would make up choreographed dances with baskets as hats and yards of fabric as togas (when it was slow of course).

6. Dordt Rec Center-Gymnastics room. Need I say more.

5. Country Kitchen,Green Mill,All Aboard- Waitressing is hard work, but I did really like meeting new people. I am a much better tipper after being in those shoes.

4. Temp Jobs (in between ELIC&YWAM trips), including:
-Hearing Aid Center-I cleaned ear waxy hearing aids while answering phones!?
-Radio Station-It was pretty cool putting faces to the voices on the radio- while answering phones.
-Highway Flagger-The only positive thing I can do regarding this job is to warn you, never be a flag person.
-BiPhase- I assembled propane fuel injected engines for trucks (even one for Pres.Bush).

3. Maracom-I had my own cubicle! I suddenly understood and identified with anything Dilbert related. I took phone orders for calendars. When it was slow, I read books and crocheted. I read more than 10 books and made 6 or 7 scarves... and got paid for it!

2. Northern Grounds- Yeah, so what if I don't like to drink coffee... I had a great time mixing up concoctions for customers and coming up with new daily specials. I also got to do all of the chalk board drawings/murals.

1. Slumberland- My favorite part of this job, is the thank you notes that I've received in the mail from customers, thanking me for not being a pushy salesperson and for making their shopping experience fun. A few months ago, I received a card from a woman dying of cancer thanking me for helping her find the 'perfect' lamp for her bedroom. I have one of those letters taped to our bathroom mirror to remind me why I go to work everyday.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Wow! How fun to reminisce this way! lol

I think I may follow suit.

((hugs)))
Jes

12:50 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I was glad to see the rec center on there...however you made no mention of how fun it was to have to do laundry for all the sport teams, especially the nice smelling hockey team uniforms. I still grimace at the thought.

10:06 PM  
Blogger Melanie said...

Cristina,
I love the new banner... alas- I cannot read the orange. everyone else can... so i might be crazy!!! now how am I going to keep up with my cuz?

10:37 PM  
Blogger Cristina said...

Melanie, I'm glad you said something about the color- maybe it isn't showing up the same on all computers. I'll change it to another color (it's actually light tan on my screen!). Thanks for the compliment- Matthew has been figuring out the tricks to making changes while I sit and 'help' from the sidelines. Did you see his too?

11:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the new look of your site. It reminds me of your wedding and the cool wheat grass.
I'd love to hear some of the funny things that have happend at your jobs, I'll bet there's some great stories. I never knew you worked at some of those places.

11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home