Saturday, October 15, 2005

Home again, home again...

Matthew and I got to take a sweet little road trip down to Dordt College (Sioux Center, IA). I was invited to attend 'The Dinner Party' as an alumni guest. It was all about women in the arts, and art as a career. As soon as the invitation came in the mail, I told Matthew we needed to get away and do this- for my sanity if nothing else.

A few highlights:
-It inspired me to do more art, and to actually set aside a room to do so
(and a seperate blog to post pictures of it on)
-Saw some old friends (Sam G, Emily Hutten, Kari, Teresa)
-Visited with my favorite art professors (Alberda, Van Wyk, Van Geest)
-Met some new faces (and my clothing twin)
-...and someone born in the same town I was... quite ironic, Brielle!
(Thanks for the apple cider and handmade paper)
-Ate some nachos and great homemade Japanese- thankfully not at the same time
-Lectio (Thank you, Sam)
-I had my husband there to share it with me

A few things we'd like to have omited:
-Got pulled over on the way there. In an amazing twist of events, the patrolman gave us the option of a ticket or warning. We opted for the ticket. I mean warning.
-Saw a horrific accident. Tractors are not a forgiving thing to run into with a Jeep.
-My cell phone had ZERO service in the black hole of Iowa. We actually had no idea if our neighbors were looking after our dog while we were gone for 2 days.
-Got a flat tire on the way back... late at night. Quickly found out our tire jack was busted. Nearly had to head back to Sioux Center (we almost got to join the sleepover afterall, Brielle) because this guy convinced us we would never make it home on a donut tire. Finally found SOMEONE who could help us. Paid that someone a LOT of money to come into town and put a new one on. -Got home after 2am to sleep a few hours and head back to Slumberland for the "ULTIMATE ONE DAY ONLY, BUT WE'LL HAVE ANOTHER THE NEXT THREE WEEKENDS IN A ROW, SALE"

Aside from the accident, the other things really did make our trip entertaining. As frustrating as it should've been to get stranded with a hole in our tire the size of my fist, we weren't really frustrated at all. We played 'Name that tropical Skittle flavor' and raced each other to the gas station. Besides, we have car trouble nearly every time we road trip. On the way back from Illinois one time, we had to rent a hotel and pay over $500 to get timing gears replaced. That's not to mention the barbed wire fences, the police car, and weird run-in with a van full of amish people.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Sweet memories!
Glad you had a good time!!!
Welcome back :)

1:07 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Ah, got to love getting stranded on road trips. It reminded me that we once got stranded on a trip back from Dordt...but we weren't alone we had your turtle with us.

10:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sunday morning our Pastor taught about perspective and how the negative report of the 10 spies sent into the Promised Land caused the death of an entire generation! I'm glad your perspective turned the interruptions on your trip into an adventure.

(This is my 11th attempt at posting a message on your blog. If this time doesn't work...well, the phone is good, huh?

Love you, Cristina.

10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home