Monday, August 01, 2005

heatstroke part 2... or 1?

Because I shared the summer rec heatstroke story, I feel compelled to tell another tale of heatstroke. It was the summer before the fated head-in-mitt incident. I was at the fair with my family. At mid afternoon, we'd been walking for what seemed like forever, we hadn't eaten lunch yet, and of course- it was hot. As we're on our way to the food court, I start to feel it coming on. The nausea started to get me the second I smelled the aroma of the fried foods. It seemed to surround me and I felt the need to run. I'm not quite sure where I thought I was running, but I did aim for the general direction of the bathroom. I turned around and tried to yell something to my sister. She said I opened my mouth, but words weren't coming out. Then I turned around and started into a full run. If you've ever played the dizzy bat game, you know what I felt like at that point. I was running, but it was in a sort of side-ways curvy run. Just before everything went completely black, I got a clear view of a pair of feet- attached to the legs that stopped my sideways running. Thankfully, my dad had caught up to me and caught my head just before it hit the concrete. Sweet.
When I woke up later, I was laying in the grass with all sorts of faces about 3 inches from mine.
Yeah, so much for being the cool kid in the family! My dad and stepmom forever teased me for saying I felt 'queezy' that day. I thought passing out in public would warrent a 'no teasing' pass, at least for awhile. But I suppose I shouldn't have expected as much, being stuck with the nickname Crusty my entire childhood.

I never knew having a love for bread would be such a curse. Try having 'CRUSTY!' yelled across the cafeteria in Jr. High. Got that picture in your head? Now picture it in the College cafeteria!

If anyone else has embarrassing childhood nicknames, feel free to share in this 'safe' environment. It all stays here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home