Thursday, July 14, 2005

...a homemaker was born

Matthew and I have established horrible eating habits. We've become so lazy that if it takes longer than 5 minutes to make something, "There's nothing to eaaaaaat" even though we have a cubpoard full of cans and boxes. I suppose there is some merit to that. You can't really make a meal out of cream of mushroom soup.
Today I'm going grocery shopping for meals. I should've done this a long time ago, and I'm ashamed to admit that we've been living off of ramen noodles, mac&cheese, sandwiches, and fast food. We make meals every great once in awhile, but the ratio of good homecooked meals to fast food is embarrasing. We have an excuse, that we both work long hours (I don't get home till 9:30 a few nights a week), but busyness is not worth having poor health.

I have a theory why young married couples generally gain weight in the first few years of marriage. Like I just described, time is huge. If there is little time to cook a meal, you fall into 'date mode'. Plus it's almost less expensive to walk over to BK (literally in our back yard).

My second theory I think is even bigger. The first few years of marriage are not easy. You have to sacrifice a lot of stereotypes about marriage you've carried around your whole life, as well as horrible habits you've established over a lifetime of gaining independence. It's depressing (especially with little arguments that DO happen), and easy to resort to comfort foods. The daily question "what sounds good to you?" is usually answered by a comfort food. After months of bad eating, you notice a belly where there wasn't one before, thighs rubbing together as you walk, and clothes fit a bit tighter. Self confidence declines, and exercise isn't what jumps into mind. Food... and at 10 pm, you find yourself saying "Should we go have 2 for 1 appetizers?"

So today I'm going shopping for meals. We're going to have lots of tasty chicken meals (Matthew will still have to cut off all the white stuff that makes me gag). Chicken with veggies and gravy, green bean hot dish, enchiladas, burritos... I may even shop for a crock pot!

I need to take better care of my Honey. Not that I'm going to cook all the meals, but at least he'll have better choices than running out for fast food when I'm working late. If anyone has any good recipes that don't take a million ingredients and an hour to cook, please pass them on to me!

I need all the help I can get.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mr. Cherry said...

Actually, both of us have great thighs, and I'm the only one growing a belly, so I know your talking about me there. I'm getting fatter and your the one who's self confidence is declining. Is your confidence declining because I'm getting fatter? Ha ha ha!

I'm very excited about this blog you wrote. It's a very good blog when I'm the one who gets to eat the food you talk of.

8:59 PM  
Blogger Carla said...

Hey... this is Carla. I'm Matt's old friend Jon's wife.
I learned a really quick burrito type meal from a friend.
All you do is mix canned beans and salsa and then put that mixture with cooked rice in a burrito. You grate cheese on top and heat them in the oven. Then you eat them with sour cream. It's easy and quick for when you only have a few minutes to do prep.

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

can you get a bbq?

oh my I bbq everyday with my broil king! even in the rain chicken, beef, pork oh my sooo tasty, so fast, so easy and so fun. add a side salad and a few veggies on the grill and you're set!

I love YoU!!
G

11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i would highly reccommend getting a crock pot. there's a great recipe for amazing teriyaki chicken wings. put frozen wings in the crock pot, add soy sauce, alittle water, mustard, brown sugar, garlic, and olive oil. put it in the morning if frozen and leave on low. the chicken should easily come off when ready. serve over rice. the only part i don' tlike about this is all the skin and fat...it's definitely worth it to pick through it though. it also makes great leftovers. definitely a great easy meal! enjoy

9:56 AM  
Blogger amelia said...

I remember those early days of marriage with the 2 of us working and the crazy pace of life! I found a George Foreman grill with a variety of McCormicks seasonings works great - just add meat and some steamed veggies. I also subscribed to Taste of Home's Quick Cooking magazine for a few years. Worth every penny! Good luck!

8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home